Thursday, June 2, 2011

remixing my closet: Miss Melissa



Hello readers of Maritime Shopaholic! I'm Melissa from Miss Melissa and I am so excited that Chelsea asked me to do a guest post for her while she is off getting married! I have a mild obsession with weddings so I can't wait to see pictures and hear all about it!

When my blog became more focused on style last year, it didn't take long for me to start to panic. Thanks to Facebook I had a real fear of being caught in the same outfit twice. Facebook pictures turned getting dressed into a stressful ordeal. While picking out my outfit I used to try to figure out if pictures would be taken, what I had worn recently and who might see me that night (I even scrolled through Facebook pictures to see what I had been photographed in... slightly embarrassing to admit). Now I was supposed to purposely take pictures of my outfits and post them on a blog for people to see? Time to shop! and I did. I shopped my little heart out so I wouldn't show my readers the same item too often... that would be boring after all, right?

Wrong, all I did was rack up my Visa bill and end up with a bunch of items that I didn't really love.
Turns out, I hadn't given my readers enough credit. They know I'm a real girl on a real girls budget. They didn't care if I re-wore a piece of clothing as long as I wore it differently than the time before. So the shopping stopped (who am I kidding, it just slowed down) and I had to try to make outfits out of clothes I already owned.

Luckily, the word "remix" is now really huge in the style blogging world so it wasn't difficult to get into the habit of re-wearing pieces without fear. It also really helped me figure out which items in my closet were my favourites. To keep myself focused on remixing my current wardrobe I started to show my readers previous ways I'd worn certain items in each outfit in a collage at the bottom of each post.
So what did I learn during the Fall and Winter months about my remixing habits? That I love Blazers. Seriously, I started to worry that my readers were going to throw an intervention. I just love them so so much. Here are three of my favourites:




Do you have any items in your closet that you love as much as I love my blazers? Should we start a support group?

Thanks again Chelsea for allowing me to meet your lovely readers. I expect that you'll have photos from your wedding posted on your blog a few hours after the reception ends. ;) xo




No comments: